Architecture is one of the oldest cultural expressions of human history. The word itself comes from the Greek arkhitekton, meaning chief builder. In general lines, Architecture is a mixture of art and science put together towards the design, creation, and construction of buildings. This field requires professionals to possess both creative and analytical skills as the visual aesthetics of a building is just as important as its physical integrity.
While the architectural needs and characteristics of each culture or country may vary depending on different factors, the ultimate objective of all Architects remain the same; creating structures suited to shelter people from external elements that are aesthetically pleasing at the same time. Architecture professionals may be employed by government agencies or private firms. Cities and countries with high levels of infrastructural development offer a great variety of job opportunities for professionals in this field.
Architecture professionals are usually responsible for the following:
- Creating, planning, and designing buildings and structures.
- Supervising the construction and renovation of buildings.
- Visiting and examining the structural integrity of old buildings and structures.
- Submitting design projects for new buildings.
- Designing innovative interior spaces.
All professionals working in the Architecture field usually share the same characteristics, which include, but are not limited to:
- Being creative and having a strong artistic sense.
- Possessing engineering and mathematical skills.
- Having analytical, problem-solving, and critical-thinking skills.
- Displaying organizational and time management skills, as well as great attention to detail.
- Being self-motivated and willing to work independently, as well as within a multi-disciplinary team environment.
In order to work in this field, all applicants must possess the necessary qualifications. The most basic being having a bachelor’s degree in Arts and a diploma of Architecture or Interior Design from an accredited school or institution. There are also several specializations and courses that professionals in this field may undertake in order to broaden their profile.