Career Coaches provide assistance and information with a solution-oriented approach to any person who is in need of career advice. In other words, they help people define, redefine, and achieve their professional objectives and other work-related goals.
For instance, Career Coaches can help people figure out what kind of job they’re looking for or help them plan a new career path. They can also give people advice on their current work situation (whether they are freelancers, employees, or executives), helping them develop or improve the following: leadership, communication, interpersonal, stress management, and conflict management skills; self-confidence; and creative and intuitive intelligence.
When working within an organization, Career Coaches help with staff training and development, role transitions, and employment-related issues. However, they usually work on their own, implying they’ve started their own business – and can help others do so. They are, therefore, of great help to entrepreneurs who are seeking some mentoring. In addition, Career Coaches sometimes offer career services to employers, such as workshops and other forms of corporate coaching.
Career Coaches are not to be confused with Guidance Counsellors , the latter having to deal specifically with students and usually assisting them with their academic paths rather than their career paths.
Career coaching is a highly diverse field. As explained above, coaches can work outside, within or for an organization. The client’s needs and the Career Coach’s tasks will vary accordingly. However, the core coaching process remains almost the same in all cases and involves, but is not limited to, the following tasks:
- Interviewing clients to obtain employment history, educational background, and career goals:
- Identifying clients’ skills, needs, difficulties, and opportunities;
- administering and interpreting tests designed to determine interests, aptitudes, and abilities; and
- identifying career opportunities by collecting labour market information.
- Providing information and strategies for maintaining a job or moving within an organization, dealing with job dissatisfaction, making mid-career changes, and adjusting to workplace transitions.
- Advising employers on human resources and other employment-related issues:
- Optimizing efficiency and profitability, improving work environment, increasing overall satisfaction; and
- establishing measurable goals, tracking performance, and creating reports.
- Helping clients with job seeking process:
- Reviewing and suggesting improvements to enhance résumés and cover letters;
- providing interview preparation, including performing mock interviews; and
- providing information on networking best practices both online and face-to-face.
- Offering concrete tools and discussing strategies to improve leadership, communication and interpersonal skills, stress management, self-confidence, and conflict management skills.
- Assessing need for assistance such as rehabilitation, financial aid or further training and refer clients to the appropriate services.
- Presenting workshops and/or webinars.
- Offering support in professional development by identifying clients’ goals and helping them work toward achieving them.
- Identifying clients’ skills and helping them improve these skills or develop new ones.
- Assisting clients during the job searching process by providing them with interview preparation and résumés/cover letters advice.
- Facilitating conflict resolution by helping the client develop emotional intelligence.
- Networking and maintaining relationships to actively promote career opportunities.
The average Career Coach salary is $58,888 per year or $30 per hour. This is around 1.8 times more than the Median wage of the country. Entry level positions start at $41,000 while most experienced workers make up to $82,000. These results are based on 14 salaries extracted from job descriptions.
- Office And Human Resources Administrator
- Director Of Business Development
- Partial Load Instructor / Contract Trainer
- Independent Contractor, Markham
- Job Coach
- Employment Counsellor
- Employment Consultant
- Business Coach
- Administrative Assistant