Graphic Designers conceptualize and produce graphic art and visual materials to effectively communicate information for publications, advertising, films, packaging, posters, logos, signs, and interactive media, such as websites. The designs that they produce don’t only have artistic goals, but also a range of commercial applications.
Graphic Designers are employed by advertising and graphic design firms, by establishments with advertising or communications departments, and by multimedia production companies, or they may be self-employed.
Here’s a non-exhaustive list of common tasks Graphic Designers are required to complete.
- Using photographs, computer-aided design (CAD) tools, and software applications to create aesthetically pleasing images and graphics:
- Creating mood boards, visual compositions, mock-ups, etc.; and
- preparing sketches, composing the layout of graphic and printed materials, and graphic elements of the subjects to be rendered using traditional tools, multimedia software, such as image processing, layout and design software.
- Consulting with clients to determine needs, preferences, and understand and interpret design briefs:
- Liaising with clients in order to establish the overall look, graphic elements, and content of communication materials to meet their needs;
- determining which medium is best suited to produce the desired visual effect and the most appropriate vehicle for communication;
- developing the graphic elements and colour concepts that meet the client’s objectives;
- presenting samples of the designs to the client;
- discussing and finalizing details with the client, including making changes if necessary;
- keeping clients up to date throughout the entire process of the project; and
- presenting the finished product to the client.
- Overseeing multiple projects at varying stages of completion, if necessary.
- Estimating cost of materials and time to complete the graphic design:
- Monitoring established budget and timelines for projects.
- Using existing photo and illustration banks, as well as typography guides, or hire an illustrator or photographer to produce images that meet the client’s communication needs:
- Establishing guidelines for illustrators or photographers;
- coordinating subcontracting; and
- supervising other graphic designers or graphic arts technicians, if necessary.
- Developing and maintaining design material such as style guides and copy decks.
- Coordinating all aspects of production for print, audiovisual, or electronic materials, such as websites and interactive terminals:
- Producing a wide range of print and web materials, including brand applications, newsletters, signage, and advertising; and
- creating and maintaining visual assets for use in advertising, client collateral, webpages, and other media.
- Collaborating with other staff in major divisions of the company such as marketing , sales , and business operations during the respective phases of the project:
- Following and contributing to the development and maintenance of the client's brand standards.
- Remaining at the forefront of current design trends, as well as production and publishing technologies.
- Using computer-aided design (CAD) tools to create images, designs, and graphics.
- Consulting with clients to determine their needs.
- Estimating and preparing budgets.
- Establishing deadlines required to complete projects.
- Executing projects within the constraints of cost and time.
- Using photo banks.
- Supervising the production and delivery of the final product.
The average Graphic Designer salary is $47,378 per year or $24 per hour. This is around 1.4 times more than the Median wage of the country. Entry level positions start at $33,000 while most experienced workers make up to $66,000. These results are based on 350 salaries extracted from job descriptions.
- Office And Human Resources Administrator
- Director Of Business Development
- Partial Load Instructor / Contract Trainer
- Independent Contractor, Markham
- Job Coach
- Employment Counsellor
- Employment Consultant
- Business Coach
- Administrative Assistant