Maître D’s greet patrons and escort them to their tables, they also supervise and coordinate all the activities in a restaurant, including what food and beverage servers do. They are usually employed in restaurants, but they can also be found in hotel dining rooms, private clubs, cocktail lounges and similar establishments.
Also known as head waiters, Maître D’s make reservations in advance and oversee all aspects of the dining room experience in order to make sure all waiters are doing their jobs effectively.
Here’s a non-exhaustive list of common tasks Maître D’s are required to complete.
- Being the first and last contact of the guest and/or patron in the restaurant, dining room or lounge:
- Receiving and coordinating guests' reservations in order to assign the corresponding tables;
- welcoming and greeting patrons at the entrance of the dining room, restaurant, or lounge according to company standards, and escorting them to their assigned tables or other seating areas while their table is ready;
- maintaining a warm and inviting environment for the guests' enjoyment at all times, ensuring the best guest and/or patron experience, so that they always come back for the first class service; and
- thanking and greeting guests with genuine appreciation before they leave.
- Communicating with the guest and/or patron:
- Getting feedback from guests and/or patrons in order to ensure satisfaction with both food and service;
- attending to complaints in order to provide a better service, always aiming to be the best;
- anticipating and addressing guest service needs; and
- ensuring all information provided to the guest or patron is current and accurate.
- Speaking with guests, patrons or staff using clear, professional, and respectful language at all times.
- Being the liaison between the kitchen and the food and beverage servers in order to ensure that a common vision is shared.
- Overseeing all the activities in the dining room/restaurant/lounge:
- Inspecting dining and serving areas, as well as all the equipment in use and storage areas for organization and cleanliness;
- ordering necessary dining room supplies and equipment for it to run smoothly;
- ensuring the highest quality of standards are met for service, cleanliness, and profitability;
- implementing new menus and promotions;
- completing opening and closing duties (opening the doors, waiting for staff members, turn on the lights and the A/C, turn on/off the alarm, among others); and
- requesting work orders for maintenance repairs.
- Supervising restaurant staff:
- Managing and coordinating the duties of food and beverage servers and other serving staff;
- preparing work schedules;
- interviewing candidates for food and beverage server positions, as well as training new employees;
- promoting teamwork to ensure optimum service and that guest’s needs are met; and
- inspecting grooming and attire of staff, and rectify deficiencies if there are any.
- Managing administrative operations:
- Accepting payment from guests and/or patrons for food and beverage;
- keeping track of financial statements and records to ensure safe-keeping;
- preparing payrolls; and
- using FIFO (First In, First Out) for inventory purposes and point of sales systems.
- Developing a business network of vendors.
- Following all company safety and security policies and procedures at all times:
- Reporting accidents, injuries, and unsafe work conditions to the manager;
- completing safety training and certifications of staff; and
- following all safety and sanitation policies when handling food and beverages.
- Acting as a liaison between the kitchen and the dining room.
- Supervising and managing restaurant staff.
- Making reservations in advance.
- Greeting and escorting guests and patrons as they arrive and also when they leave.
- Catering to the guest and patron’s needs.
- Building a network of vendors.
- Taking care of inventory, as well as inspecting both the dining area and the equipment in use.
The average salary for Maître D’ related jobs is $43,961 per year or $23 per hour. This is around 1.3 times more than the Median wage of the country. Entry level positions start at $31,000 while most experienced workers make up to $62,000. These results are based on 52 salaries extracted from job descriptions.
- Office And Human Resources Administrator
- Director Of Business Development
- Partial Load Instructor / Contract Trainer
- Independent Contractor, Markham
- Job Coach
- Employment Counsellor
- Employment Consultant
- Business Coach
- Administrative Assistant