Painters prepare, protect, and decorate interior and exterior surfaces (e.g. wood, masonry, drywall, plaster, chalky and synthetic surfaces, cement, stucco, and metal), applying materials such as paint, wallpaper and other finishes (e.g. high performance coatings, waterproof materials, flame retardant materials, varnish, lacquer, and wall coverings).
They are usually self-employed, but can sometimes be employed by Painting Contractors, Construction Managers, or by maintenance departments of buildings and other establishments. They work closely with Construction Managers, as well as maintenance, production, engineering and outside services.
Here’s a non-exhaustive list of common tasks Painters are required to complete.
- Reading specifications to determine quantities of materials required and examining the inside and outside building surfaces to decide which procedures/techniques should be used:
- Advising the customer on selection of colour schemes and choice of wall coverings as needed;
- following the specific instructions in terms of style, colour, and finish; and
- ordering and maintaining the paint supplies and materials.
- Assembling and erecting scaffolding and swing stages wherever it’s not possible to reach the height.
- Preparing, protecting, and repairing surfaces:
- Preparing and cleaning surfaces using methods such as scraping, sanding, sandblasting, hydro-blasting and steam-cleaning;
- removing old wallpaper and loose paint;
- repairing cracks and holes in walls using fillers (e.g. epoxy filler and putty); and
- applying primer/sealer.
- Matching and reproducing colours as needed:
- Mixing and thinning paint to obtain desired colour and texture.
- Applying paint or other materials, such as stains, lacquer, enamel, oil, varnish, fibreglass, metal coating, or fire retardant, using brushes, rollers, or spray equipment:
- Mixing necessary materials to prepare paste for application;
- creating decorative effects and special finishes as needed; and
- applying finish coats as needed.
- Installing wall coverings:
- Measuring, cutting and applying wallpaper or fabric to walls.
- Cleaning up properly after a job and maintaining good housekeeping habits throughout the project.
- Preparing estimates:
- Analyzing, collecting, calculating, and comparing data.
- Preparing, cleaning, and protecting interior and exterior surfaces to be painted.
- Applying paint, wallpaper and other materials and finishes to surfaces.
The average Painter salary is $40,954 per year or $21 per hour. This is around 1.2 times more than the Median wage of the country. Entry level positions start at $29,000 while most experienced workers make up to $57,000. These results are based on 694 salaries extracted from job descriptions.
- Office And Human Resources Administrator
- Director Of Business Development
- Partial Load Instructor / Contract Trainer
- Independent Contractor, Markham
- Job Coach
- Employment Counsellor
- Employment Consultant
- Business Coach
- Administrative Assistant