Relocation assistance is available, as well as possibility for the position to become permanent.
SUMMARY OF POSITION :
Reporting to the Director of Care, the Registered Nurse is the role model and team leader who coordinates and supports daily care delivery.
The Registered Nurse performs duties and monitors departmental activities in accordance with their scope of practice, established standards, regulations, policies and procedures to maximize individualized, resident focused care while maintaining resident respect, dignity, and independence.
The Registered Nurse provides clinical support to all care staff.
Include but not limited to :
1. Ensures quality and individualized resident focused care is provided, resident rights are observed, and independence is encouraged and maintained as much as possible.
2. Supports LPN Team Leaders to review and update care plans as required, offers clinical decision making support including clinical assessments to support the care team on a daily basis as needed.
3. In collaboration with the LPN Team Leader, coordinates resident care with families, other departments, other care services and agencies.
Liaises with physicians, community agency representatives, families, visitors, and volunteers.
4. Ensures equipment and supplies are stored and maintained as per policy and procedures.
5. Reports unsafe or faulty equipment to appropriate manager.
6. Maintains documents as per established standards, regulations, policies and procedures, ensuring confidentiality are maintained as per policies.
7. Ensures that practice related to risk management is maintained (infection control, medication safety, care quality and staff safety).
8. Acts as First Aid Attendant when on duty, ensuring any injured staff completes the required documentation.
9. Provides guidance and assistance to LPNs in timely completion of quarterly and annual RAI assessments.
10. Responsible for facility wound management, assisting LPNs with assessment, treatment and documentation as needed, facilitating referral to Wound Care Specialist when necessary.
Submits wound report to ADOC / DOC weekly.
11. Supports LPNs in their role of coach / mentor for RCA staff in providing care and completing documentation.
12. In the absence of the ADOC, reviews candidates for admission, ensuring needs can be met by facility. Collaborates with DOC & / or Social Worker to support decision making.
13. Works collaboratively with the Social Worker, ADOC and other team members to facilitate admissions, following facility policies and protocols.
Completes RN portion of the admission process.
14. Performs facility audits and correlates data to submit to DOC or designate.
15. Participates in unit / department orientation of new employees, and acts as mentor and coach for clinical staff.
16. Observe and assess the clinical practice of individual staff and provide one-to-one practice support as needed. Provides informal input into staff evaluations.
17. Actively participates in the delivery of clinical education and / or training both in formal (scheduled) and spontaneous (bedside) settings to allow for increased learning and clinical skill development.
18. Provides educational material on procedures to clinical staff and demonstrates techniques.
19. Identifies and follows up on opportunities for continuous quality improvement : participates in quality improvement initiatives.
20. Actively participates in facility programs, meetings, committees and educational inservices.
21. Maintains an up-to-date knowledge of facility policies and procedures, particularly those concerning the safe delivery of quality care and emergency procedures.
22. Attends Care Conferences in the absence of the ADOC.
23. Promotes the use of research to support clinical practice by reviewing current literature and attending educational sessions.
making decisions about his / her life and is a partner in the decision-making.
25. Fulfills clinical on call duties as required.
26. Performs other related duties as required.
1. Bachelor of Science in Nursing or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
2. Holds current practising license with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
3. Successful annual RAI competency testing.
4. Additional training and previous experience in the care of the frail elderly and physically and mentally handicapped persons.
5. Valid OFA2 certification
6. Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing in the English language.
7. Recent related clinical practice experience within the last five years.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES :
1. Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing using the English language.
2. Ability to foster a work environment conducive to the well being of residents and staff.
3. Ability to supervise staff, establish and maintain effective working relationships.
4. Ability to coach and mentor staff, and function as a role model.
5. Ability to use a collaborative approach to problem solving supported by a systems approach.
6. Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills including conflict resolution
7. Ability to operate related equipment and electronic programs such as Word, Excel, and Outlook
8. Physical ability to perform the duties of the position : repetitive tasks, lift, squat, bend, stand, and walk as required to perform the duties of the position.
9. Demonstrated commitment to collaborative practice and life-long learning.