The Home Services Assistant is responsible for providing a variety of duties related to food services, assisting the PSW as directed, screening staff and visitors entering and exiting the Home, and performing enhanced cleaning protocols in accordance with the policies of the Home and applicable legislation.
As a valued member of Long Term Care and Seniors Services, the Home Services Assistant demonstrates a commitment to Resident Safety by providing quality care in accordance with the organization’s mission and vision.
Positions are available at Simcoe Manor and Simcoe Village.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (not listed in order of priority)
1. Assist in the preparation of basic hot and cold foods, proper storage of food, while utilizing knowledge of temperature requirements and spoilage and understands inventory stocking.
2. Assist the Dietary Aide with setup of unit serveries including setting tables and trays prior to meals, . and clearing tables, stations, dishes and cookware at the end of meal periods.
Clean, disinfect and organize dining rooms, unit serveries and kitchen areas.
3. Porter residents to and from dining room and alternate meal locations, provide hand hygiene to residents prior to meal, serve meals to residents, and provide hand hygiene to residents after meals.
4. Practice safe food handling procedures, proper hand hygiene and infection control procedures.
5. Participate in the meal service by following standard processes in the delivery of a quality, pleasurable meal service to the residents.
6. Assist in the storage of food items upon delivery.
7. Assist PSW’s with some duties including, but not limited to, resident security checks, ROAM alert, feeding, snack service, bed making and height / bed control, safety devices, sorting laundry, etc.
8. Assist Program Support staff with duties including, but not limited to, resident portering, preparing and coordinating activities, supporting Residents during activities and assisting with family visits.
9. Screening of staff and visitors for any COVID symptoms or COVID related concerns upon entering and exiting the facility, following all protocols as outlined in Screener Training Guide.
10. Assist with performing standard housekeeping duties, including additional cleaning on high touch areas of the Home, linens and clothing, personal protective equipment (PPE), and outdoor visiting areas.
11. Attend in-service education sessions, staff meetings, committee meetings, workshops etc. as directed by the Associate Director, Resident Care.
12. Act as a member of the inter-disciplinary team within the Home.
13. Positive interactions with residents and assisting them as needed.
14. Participate in committees as required.
15. Assume an active role in the infection prevention & control program in accordance with the Provincial Infectious Diseases Advisory Committee (PIDAC) and in accordance with LTCH policies & procedures.
16. Perform other duties as assigned.
17. Understand and follow all policies and procedures.
18. Participate in and demonstrate an understanding of Resident Safety principles and practices into all day-to-day activities.
Follow safe work practices and procedures and immediately communicate any activity or action which may constitute a risk to Resident Safety.
19. Work in compliance with the Occupational Health & Safety Act and the Long Term Care Homes Act, and their regulations in performing duties in a safe manner and follows all County of Simcoe Health & Safety policies, procedures and legislation.
20. Maintain confidentiality in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and the Personal Health Information Protection Act.
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS AND CERTIFICATION
To provide signed declaration of a clear Criminal Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening.