SUMMARY OF POSITION : Under the direction of the Head Chef and / or designate provides all aspects of service in the dining room, resident lounges and room service for residents, guests and the public.
Participates in food preparation and the maintenance of a safe, sanitary workplace by following safe food handling techniques.
RESPONSIBILITIES : Include but not limited to : 1. Responsible for all aspects of meal service including breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, teas, special events and room service etc.
Duties include preparing the dining room and service area for meals, stocking all necessary items, serving meals and cleaning the dining room, preparation and service areas afterwards.
2. Assist with the preparation and presentation of food and beverages under the direction of cook or designate. Portion meals with respect to portion control, plate presentation and resident choice.
Provide residents with beverages and meal accompaniments.3. Carry out general cleaning duties and routines, including clean up and setting of tables, clearing tables, bussing dishes, scraping dishes, washing dishes, and transporting dishes as required.
4. Prevent the spread of infection by proper hand washing, appropriate glove use, following prescribed cleaning techniques, and proper handling of chemicals.
Practice and maintain established standards for proper cleanliness and sanitation required by the Health Department.5. Establish and maintain an atmosphere conducive to pleasant dining by creating an environment which maintains the happiness, self-respect, general dignity and physical safety of each resident.
6. Promote and maintain positive communication and relationships among staff, residents and the public.7. May be responsible for some or all tasks related to housekeeping and laundry duties.
8. Other related duties as required QUALIFICATIONS : 1. Grade 10 or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
2. One to two years’ experience in a dining room environment3. Food Safe Certificate; Level 1 required / Level 2 an asset4.
WHMIS Certificate an asset. SKILLS AND ABILITIES 1. Ability to communicate effectively both in written and oral English.
2. Ability to take direction and learn procedures.3. Ability to demonstrate tact, diplomacy, empathy, patience and concern in providing quality services to clients.
4. Ability to operate related food service equipment.5. Must be in good health and free from communicable diseases, physically able to perform tasks related to the position.
6. Must be free of allergies or conditions, which may be aggravated by working with cleaners, detergents and equipment.