Under general supervision, performs systematic inspections, overhauls of component parts, performs preventive maintenance routines and other related duties on light or heavy vehicle to determine the cause of failure, analyses and recommends the course of repair required, verifies the adequacy of completed repair work and certifies vehicles as road worthy.
Verifies work done by contractors and certifies that repairs that have been performed are safe, road worthy, reliable and within specifications recommended by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM), provincial legislation or Canada Post requirements.
Below are the main job requirements and responsibilities for the Vehicle Mechanic.
1. Performs maintenance and repairs on light or heavy vehicles (as per certification).
2. Conducts other maintenance facility activities such as : parts ordering, receiving, stocking and shipping; taking calls and noting actions required.
3. Inspects light or heavy vehicles within Canada Post fleet and completes the necessary documentation accordingly within Canada Post and Government frequency of inspections (Municipal, Provincial, and Federal).
4. Completes quality control inspections by examining and testing repaired vehicles (light or heavy) to ensure repairs have been satisfactorily completed, according to Provincial and Canada Post specifications and certifying road worthiness before releasing back to Operations.
5. Performs in shop or on road repairs on light or heavy vehicles as directed by the maintenance Supervisor / Mechanic Lead Hand within original equipment manufacturer (OEM) and / or Canada Post specifications.
6. Maintains hand tools and shop equipment to a safe and reliable standard.
Job Responsibilities (continued)
7. Escalates any problems by completing the appropriate reports.
8. Provides input and support as required to front line operations on operating requirements, vehicles and driver habits.
9. Adheres to all Health and Safety and Environment policies and procedures by keeping the work area clean and free of hazards in support of a safe and healthy work place.
10. Replaces or overhauls defective parts with new components using mechanic hand tools, power tools and related automotive shop equipment.
11. Moves light or heavy vehicles and performs other related duties as required.
Other Candidate Requirements
Other Information Safety Sensitive Positions
This position may be considered a Safety Sensitive position. Employment Equity
Canada Post is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities. Conflict of Interest
The Conflict of Interest Policy prohibits employees from hiring, supervising or reporting to, directly or indirectly via the reporting hierarchy, their immediate family or close personal relations.
Should you feel that you may be in an actual or potential Conflict of Interest in regard to this job opportunity, you must communicate with the designated Human Resources representative. Accommodation
If you are contacted by Canada Post regarding a job opportunity or testing, please advise if you require accommodation. Important Message
Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements as Canada Post cannot make assumptions about your education and experience.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Our Values
Canada Post’s corporate values reflect the principles, beliefs and aspirations that guide our behaviour and shape our culture.
Transformation We will innovate and transform to win in the marketplace.
Customer We serve Canadians with pride and passion.
Integrity We act responsibly and with integrity.
Respect We treat each other with fairness and respect.
Safety We are committed to a safe and healthy environment for all our stakeholders.