The Anesthesia Assistant works within a collaborative patient and family focused care model across all HHSC sites.
The Anesthesia Care Team is comprised of specially trained health care professionals working collaboratively to optimize patient care and reduce pain and stress associated with surgical or procedural care.
As a member of the health care team, the Anesthesia Assistant (AA) works under the direction and immediate availability of the Anesthesiologist, and under the authority of medical directives, to provide consistent clinical expertise to assist in the delivery of anesthetic care to adult and children populations.
Responsibilities include : An integral member of the Anesthesia care model supporting surgical and procedural adult and pediatric patients during general, regional or local anesthesia.
Assisting the Anesthesiologist with all aspects of care planned for a specific patient. Anesthetic agents, narcotics, muscle relaxants, vasoactive drugs, antibiotics and other medications are administered as ordered and indicated.
Under the supervision of an Anesthesiologist and relying on medical directives, the AA initiates, maintains and recovers a patient under conscious sedation and / or monitored anesthesia care.
The AA performs activities such as insertion and management of intravenous and arterial catheters, endotracheal intubation and blood and fluid administration.
In addition to these responsibilities, the AA provides technical support to the Anesthesiologist for complex equipment and establishes / conducts a preventative maintenance program for anesthesia related equipment in the satellite areas including the HGH and JCC.
The AA will also provide clinical and technical support to the Peri-Operative Service with respect to anesthesia instrumentation and anesthetic care.
Schedule Work Hours
Position temporary until October 2022
1. Completion of a recognized Anesthesia Assistant Advanced Graduate Certificate
2. Member in good standing with the College of Respiratory Therapists of Ontario (CRTO) or College of Nursing of Ontario (CNO) with no Terms, Limitations or Conditions
3. Practice in accordance with the standards of practice and guidelines as outlined by the Canadian Anesthesiologists
Society (CAS) and the College of Respiratory Therapy of Ontario (CRTO) or the College of Nursing Ontario (CNO)
4. Current certification in BCLS, ACLS & Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
5. Current and NRP certification
6. Comprehensive knowledge of current anesthesiology principles and practices, as well as agents, equipment, procedures, and techniques for the provision of anesthesia to pediatric patients
7. Demonstrated continuous improvement and best practice approach in anesthesiology assistant practice
8. Recent clinical experience with pediatric sedation in a tertiary healthcare setting
9. Capable of making critical decisions and function with confidence in medical emergencies
10. Demonstrated ability for independent action, initiative, problem-solving, critical thinking, organization, time management and prioritization
11. Effective communication skills, both written and verbal
12. Demonstrated ability to be flexible and adapt to constantly changing clinical situation.
13. Demonstrated knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age and developmental stage of the pediatric population served
14. Demonstrated ongoing commitment to professional development, acquiring new knowledge and ensuring competency
15. Ability to orientate new staff, teach learners, and participate in quality assurance initiatives
16. Eligible for membership with the Canadian Anesthesiologists' Society (CAS)
Position temporary until October 2022
Hamilton Health Sciences fosters aculture of patient and staff safety, whereby all employees are guided by ourMission, Vision, Values, and Values Based Code of Conduct.
Hamilton HealthSciences is a teaching hospital and all staff and physicians are expected tosupport students and other learners.
To be considered for this opportunity applicants must apply during theposting period. All internal and external applicants may ONLY apply via theCareers website.
Hamilton Health Sciences is an equal opportunity employer and we willaccommodate any needs under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom,Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human RightsCode.
Hiring processes will be modified to remove barriers to accommodate thosewith disabilities, if requested.