Reporting to the Head of Labour Relations, the Senior Employee & Labour Relations Specialist supports the development, implementation and evaluation of effective labour relations strategies and is a key resource person to the HR Portfolio Manager and mentor to the HR Business Partners on labour relations matters.
In addition, the Senior Employee & Labour Relations Specialist provides expert advice on both union and non-union issues including the coordination of non-
union terminations and oversight on severances related to a common law analysis. The Senior Employee & Labour Relations Specialist will maintain a union-
specific portfolio (for unionized groups) and a program-specific portfolio (for non-union staff) and will act as bargaining chair on assigned collective agreements and engage in coaching, mentoring and training that supports the strategic orientation of the HR business partner model.
Schedule Work HoursMonday to Friday; days
1. Undergraduate degree from a recognized University or equivalent combination of academic and experience in employee and labour relations.
2. Courses in Labour Studies, Industrial Relations or Sociology and Business, would provide an excellent backdrop to
Labour Relations and would be considered a strong asset.
3. Possess or working toward CHRP Designation or related post secondary discipline.
4. Graduate Degree in Labour or Industrial Relations is considered an asset.
5. Five (5) to seven (7) years practicing labour relations, as a labour specialist, in a highly unionized environment.
Experience in acute care and teaching healthcare or other related environments where healthcare was a primary focus is
considered an asset.
6. Strong mediation skills attained from a combination of practical and academic experiences.
7. Strong business acumen with a solid understanding of the environment and ability to understand complex concepts.
8. Proven negotiation skills and previous experience at a local hospital negotiations would be considered an asset.
9. Demonstrated ability to train, coach and mentor using methods appropriate for adult learners.
10. A strong working knowledge of MS Office, Internet, email and HRIS applications is required. PeopleSoft would be
considered an asset.
11. Excellent client service skills with proven experience in building and maintaining relationships and ensuring service
standards are met; Possess the ability to gain credibility and be viewed as a subject matter expert (SME) in labour
12. Expert-level knowledge and experience working with relevant legislation and collective bargaining agreements. (i.e.
Employment Standards Act, Labour Relations Act, Human Rights Code).
13. Knowledge of Hospital Central Agreements (ONA, CUPE) and knowledge of PSLRTA and LHSIA, considered a strong
14. Experienced project management and organizational skills and an ability to work efficiently and multi-task in a high
volume, results-oriented environment.
15. Tact, diplomacy, mature judgment, and ability to take action and display initiative.
16. Excellent (oral and written) communication and interpersonal skills with proven ability to build trust at all levels of
the organization; Excellent relationship-building skills, influential and persuasive communication skills, and excellent
17. Demonstrated passion for healthcare which will result in an active role as change agent driving our organization’s
Ability to work collaboratively within HHS and across partner institutions.
19. Results orientation and an energy and enthusiasm to work through a system with multiple challenges..
20. Effectively manages work independently.
21. Willingness to be flexible with working hours that often suit operational requirements.Guidelines
Hamilton Health Sciences fosters a culture of patient and staff safety, whereby all employees are guided by our Mission, Vision, Values, and Values Based Code of Conduct.
Hamilton Health Sciences is a teaching hospital and all staff and physicians are expected to support students and other learners.
To be considered for this opportunity applicants must apply during the posting period. All internal and external applicants may ONLY apply via the Careers website.
Hamilton Health Sciences is an equal opportunity employer and we will accommodate any needs under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Hiring processes will be modified to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities, if requested. Should any applicant require accommodation through the application processes, please contact Human Resources Operations at 905-
521-2100, Ext. 46947 for assistance. If the applicant requires a specific accommodation because of a disability during an interview, the applicant will need to advise the hiring manager when scheduling the interview and the appropriate accommodations can be made.
This competition is open to all qualified applicants, however, qualified internal applicants will be considered first. Past performance will be considered as part of the selection process.
If you are a previous employee of Hamilton Health Sciences, please note : the circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment
Proficiency in both Official Languages, French and English, is considered an asset