POSITION SUMMARY :
The Health Care Aide provides direct client care and environmental support within
established standards of care, policies and procedures. The Health Care Aide functions
in meeting the special and changing needs of clients and assisting them in reaching and
maintaining optimum health and independence within the limits of their abilities under
the direction of the team leader.
RESPONSIBILITIES : Overview :
1. Assist clients in activities of daily living, striving to maintain self-respect, dignity, and
independence of clients by encouraging and allowing clients to care for themselves within
the limits of their abilities as described in the client’s record.
2. Communicate client changes to the team leader
3. Document care according to policy
4. Participate in client care conferences (as required) and in the development of individual care
5. Provide or assist the client with Personal Hygiene as per care plan to include but not limited
to bathing tub bath, shower or complete or partial bed bath; grooming wash hands, face,
perineal area; shampoos and combs hair, shaves, cleans, and cuts nails; skin care
provides back rubs / skincare; oral care- mouth care, care of teeth and dentures; dressing
assist in dressing and undressing, remove soiled clothing and put out clean clothes. Assist
clients with care of personal belongings and clothing.
6. Provide or assist the client with elimination as per care plan to include but not limited to
assist client to the bathroom as necessary; gives bedpan or urinal; changes incontinent
briefs and provides perineal care; and care of urinary drainage system as per procedure.
7. Provide or assist the client with mobility as per care plan to include but not limited to assists
and feed dependent clients; distributes between meals nourishment / supplements and
encourages client to consume same.
8. Provide or assist the client with mobility as per care plan to include but not limited to; assists
client into and out of bed; assists with walking / exercise programs; uses proper transfer
techniques utilizing transfer belts, mechanical lifts and other appropriate equipment; assists
in transport of clients to and from other departments as required and as per the care plan.
9. Provide or assist the client with observation and measurements as per care plan to include
but not limited to reporting any change in client’s condition to the team leader; update BM
sheet each shift; weigh client; may be asked to record intake and output; and document care
on applicable flow sheet.
10. Provide or assist with necessary safety measures (as per policies and procedures) including
side rails, seat belts, wheelchair pedals, assist in the management of disoriented or
aggressive clients or visitors; promptly respond to clients call lights; and reports.
11. Provide or assist the client with validation and orientation techniques and, provide privacy
and maintain individual identity, confidentiality regarding client’s condition and family affairs.
12. Provide or assist in admissions, transfer and discharge of client including care of the body
after death. Lists client’s valuables and arranges for their storage on admission and their
return on discharge.
13. Maintain a clean environment including but not limited to changing linen as necessary,
replenish supplies in client room; wipes spills to prevent injury and report all accidents and
14. Maintain a safe environment by appropriately distributing / storing equipment.
15. Order and stock unit supplies (i.e. linen and food).
16. Encourage and assist client’s participation with activity program. Organize and facilitate
leisure activities for individuals and / or groups on evenings and weekends.
17. Other duties as assigned.
This position is subject to a Criminal Records Check (including vulnerable sector), Adult Abuse Registry Check, and a Child Abuse Registry Check.
The successful candidate will be responsible for any services charges incurred.
If you are currently employed by PMH, please utilize the internal application form. If you are not employed by PMH, please utilize the external application form.
In order to be considered for the position, both internal and external applicants must submit a current resume with their application form.
If you are an external applicant, please include three work related references with this application. They must be from persons who are not related to you, and who have direct knowledge of your past work performance.
Upon being considered for employment, your signature or electronic submission of this application is your authorization to complete said reference checks.
PMH has an Aboriginal Human Resources initiative and is committed to increasing the representation of Aboriginal people within all levels of our workforce.
Aboriginal applicants are encouraged to voluntarily self identify as being of Aboriginal descent in their cover letter and / or within their application form.
We thank all applicants that apply but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
HEALTH AND WELLNESS FOR ALL