Interior Health is looking for a Program Coordinator, Therapeutic Recreation to join us for casual employment in Ashcroft!
This position plans, develops, implements and evaluates a variety of recreational / leisure programs designed to support residents’ / clients’ health and well-
being in residential, acute and / or adult day program settings. This position also supervises designated staff, students and volunteers.
Interior Health strives to create an environment where you enjoy the work you do, the place where you work, and the people around you.
Everyone plays a role in the care continuum. Together, we create great workplaces. Be part of a dynamic team!
Come and join us! Our focus is on giving people room to grow, to make an impact in the lives of others.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
develops the goals and objectives of the program.
2. Supervises designated staff, students and volunteers by performing duties such as scheduling and coordinating work assignments, providing work direction, evaluating performance and determining related training and orientation requirements.
Interviews and makes recommendations to Manager (or designate) for staff recruitment.
identifies, evaluates, implements, and documents recreation / leisure goals and objectives based on individual interests and abilities.
4. Sets up calendar of events / activity programs and teaches the techniques of related activities; contacts external agencies for program resources.
5. Monitors, evaluates, and documents resident / client progress within the recreation / leisure program(s) and reports observations such as emotional well-
being and social behaviour to multidisciplinary team as required. Participates in multidisciplinary team meetings and care conferences.
Identifies and makes recommendations regarding community and facility resources that may be of additional interest or need to the resident / client.
6. Assists clients with meals including providing nourishments and feeding. Assists clients with activities of daily living including lifting and transferring clients as required.
7. Monitors program expenditures and provides input to the program budget; oversees inventory of equipment, tools and materials and recommends purchase of same.
Purchases minor equipment in accordance with established guidelines and procedures. Ensures equipment, tools and materials are in good repair and appropriate for use.
Reports malfunctioning equipment to the Manager.
8. Recruits, screens and selects applicants for volunteer placements by reviewing application forms, conducting interviews, performing reference checks, and evaluating applicants’ suitability for the program as required in accordance with established site procedures.
9. Provides guidance and support to staff, students and volunteers by clarifying roles and expectations and providing formal and informal volunteer recognition, as required.
Follows up on complaints and / or conflicts and takes appropriate action.
10. Develops and maintains a direct line of communication with residents / clients and their families and involves both in activities and group discussions which affect the resident’s / client’s life.
11. Establishes and maintains liaison with community resources, volunteer organizations, other health care professionals, religious and ethnic group representatives and learning institutions for purposes of ensuring a continuing link to the community for residents / clients and activity programming, as required.
12. Arranges for residents / clients to attend community facilities, activities and special events, and ensures their transport and access as required.
13. Transports clients using Interior Health vehicle for established community outings according to relevant safety rules, regulations and standards as required.
14. Provides input into the development and revision of policies and procedures as related to recreational / leisure programs.
15. Completes and maintains required records such as resident / client reports, forms for supplies, workload and volunteer data and prepares related reports and statistics.
Prepares newsletter for clients and families as required.
16. Facilitates weekly meetings with recreation staff as required. Attends department and facility meetings as required.
Facilitates family / client councils as required.
17. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience :
Skills and Abilities :