SUMMARY OF POSITION : Reporting to the Director of Care and / or Resident Care Coordinator, the Licensed Practical Nurseis the role model and team leader who coordinates the activities and duties of those who deliverdirect resident care.
The Licensed Practical Nurse performs duties and monitors departmentalactivities in accordance with their scope of practice, established standards, regulations, policiesand procedures to maximize resident focused care
RESPONSIBILITIES : Include but not limited to;1. Assess residents’ needs; plans, implements and evaluates resident care.
2. Ensures focused resident care is provided and resident rights are observed.3. Liaises with physicians, community agency representatives, families, visitors andvolunteers.
4. Administers prescribed medications and treatments within the limitations of the BritishColumbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
Monitors and reports changes inphysical and psychological conditions of residents and documents changes in the residenthealth record.
Notifies family and physician of changes in condition.5. Active participant in Interdisciplinary Care Conferences. Responsible for development ofinitial care plan and revisions as necessary.
Implements and evaluates the effectivenessof plan of care.6. Maintains all documents according to established standards, regulations, policies andprocedures, ensuring confidentiality is maintained according to Facility policy.
7. Liaises with other disciplines and departments to ensure quality focused resident care.8. Supervises and assists other care staff.
Participates in orientation and ongoing educationas required.9. Assists residents with care, which includes activities of daily living, including bathing,dressing, feeding, elimination, hair and oral care.
10. Actively participates in facility programs, meetings, committees and educational inservices.11. Ensures equipment and supplies are stored and maintained according to policy andprocedure and reports unsafe or faulty equipment to appropriate manager.
12. Maintains an up to date knowledge of facility policies and procedures, particularly thoseconcerning the administration and recording of medications, safety and emergencyprocedures.
13. Encourages and adheres to a holistic philosophy of wellness, recognizing that eachindividual is capable of, to varying degrees, making decisions about his / her life and is apartner in the decision-making process.
14. Utilizes the Registered Nurse as a resource for complex situations as per the policy of theFacility.15. Performs other related duties as required QUALIFICATIONS : 1.
Graduate of an approved program for Practical Nurses and holds a current License withthe BCCNM as an LPN.2. Valid First Aid Certificate.
2 years’ experience preferred SKILLS AND ABILITIES : 1. Ability to read, write, and speak English proficiently and understand verbal and writteninstructions.
2. Good interpersonal skills and ability to effectively interact with the various individualsinvolved in providing holistic care in a flexible resident focused environment.
3. Ability to operate related equipment.4. Must be in good health, physically able to perform repetitive tasks, lift, squat, bend, standand walk as required to perform the duties of the position.