Job Summary :
Under the direction of the Program Manager the Community Mental Health Worker is responsible for the day to day running of the support and advocacy services, social, recreational, volunteer and food programs as well as the ensuring safety and welfare of participants in program by use of the principles of psychosocial rehabilitation practices and in line with the mission, objectives and policies of Coast Mental Health.
Typical Duties :
1. Ensures the implementation of the programs including, leisure activities, cooking, housekeeping and maintenance tasks by engaging the clients daily life skills activities.
2. Provides community based Psycho social rehabilitation services by, identifying and supporting clients in accessing and developing links into community programs and services.
3. Teaches and models life skills and strategies necessary for self care, independent living and interaction with outside social agencies.
4. Applies a range of effective communications strategies such as role modelling to establish a collaborative rapport with the clients.
5. Provides the support and information necessary to help clients build self-esteem and develop decision- making skills through role modelling and other techniques.
providing community services resources of community services.
7. Observes and records the physical and mental health status of clients and take necessary action.
8. Advocates for and with the clients to encourage them to maintain their rights and dignity.
9. Works with clients, peers, supervisors, other agencies and relatives in a cooperative and professional manner.
10. Develops individualized life skills programs with clients involving, where appropriate, family, friends and community resources.
11. Ensures all requirements of the QWIK process and administrative tasks are completed within the allocated timeframes.
12. Uses formal and informal assessment practices such as interviews to develop individual plans identifying the client’s areas of interest and need.
13. Distributes medications safely in accordance with medication policies and procedures.
14. Ensures the implementation of the program’s maintenance, housekeeping and cooking tasks.
15. Reports and addresses health and safety issues / concerns as they arise.
16. Performs administrative tasks, as assigned.
17. Maintains records as required.
18. Fulfills any other functions / duties that may develop in conjunction with the above.
19. May be asked to direct students and volunteers.
20. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Abilities