Monday to Sunday, 12hr shifts (days, evening and nights)
$32.21 to $45.31 per hour, 25 year rate : $46.110 per hour
Hours of Work : Monday to Sunday, 12hr shifts (days, evening and nights)
Available to rotate on all shifts required
Are you looking to make a difference in people's lives? St. Joseph's Health Centre currently has an exciting opportunity to join our mental health team as a Registered Nurse in our Adult Inpatient Mental Health Unit (7M) and Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU).
As an integral member of the interprofessional care team and working with a highly acute mental health and / or addictions patient population, the Registered Nurse will be responsible for the provision of high quality, patient and family centered nursing care, within a trauma informed framework in an acute care setting.
In this position, you will be instrumental in helping people learn to manage their illnesses and support their recovery journey while growing your career in a professionally rewarding, fun, challenging and fulfilling environment.
As part of our larger Mental Health and Addictions program, our 36 bed inpatient unit, including a psychiatric intensive care unit, provides services to adults 19 years and older and is focused on delivering holistic and accessible mental health services to patients and their families.
Affiliated with the University of Toronto, we strive to provide cutting-edge trauma informed care and services while developing innovative community partnerships that strengthen one's quality of life.
We are committed to professional development, research, innovation and student learning.
The ideal candidate will possess superior nursing and interpersonal skills, with a demonstrated competence in the field of mental health and addictions.
Working collaboratively alongside other health care professionals you will demonstrate the ability to incorporate current evidence and best practice into plans of care and in the provision of your professional nursing services.
You will approach the planning, delivery of care to patients and families in a manner which promotes health and well-being, recognizes patient dignity and regards patients and their families as an essential partner in the delivery of healthcare.
As a member of our mental health team, you are highly-adaptable, highly-flexible and thrive in a fast paced environment.
The Registered Nurse will be committed to continuous professional development of their nursing competencies. Successful candidates will be required to complete their Canadian Nurses Certificate in Psychiatric Nursing within two years.
Qualifications : Professional Registration
1.Currently registered and in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
Education / Training
2. Canadian Nurses Association (C.N.A) Certificate in Psychiatric Nursing on hire or willingness to complete within 2 years of start date.
3. Current BLS / CPR.
4. Non-Violent Crisis Prevention and Intervention Training required within 3 months of start date.
5. Two years of recent mental health and addictions nursing experience in an acute care setting required (recent within last 5 years).
Candidates with a minimum of 6 months of experience may be considered at the Health Centre's sole discretion.
Required Skills / Competencies
6. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
7. Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to patient and family centred care.
8. Excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills
9. Demonstrated passion for change and ongoing improvement in support of patient care and safety.
10. Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively within an interprofessional team environment.
11. Demonstrated professionalism, accountability and positive attitude.
12. Demonstrated ability to engage and educate patients and their families, including an interest and ability to facilitate groups.
13. Proficiency in the application of de-escalation and de-briefing skills.
14. Demonstrated knowledge, understanding and application of trauma informed approaches.
15. Demonstrated recovery-focused skills in bio-psychosocial assessment, mental status assessments, differential diagnosis, treatment and transitional care of mental health and addictions patients.
16. Demonstrated knowledge and application of legislation which guides mental health nursing practice (example, Mental Health Act, Health Care Consent Act, Child and Family Services Act).
17. Demonstrated alignment with St. Joseph's Health Centre Values.
18. Ability to type notes and access / navigate hospital electronic systems for the provision of care to patients.
19. Evidence of ongoing professional development and learning.
20. Satisfactory attendance record.