Be someone's eyes and ears. Bring the world to a person who is deafblind.
Sensity has an exciting opportunity for a Casual Intervenor to Support People who are deaf-blind to join our team in Kitchener, ON. The Intervenor supports communication and day-to-day living for individuals who are living with dual sensory impairment so that they may live independently. Join us to learn new skills and experience personal growth and fulfillment.
- Casual or pick up basis (minimum of 16hrs/month)
- A competitive wage (starting at $19.38/hour) and a $3/hour Wage Enhancement while the Ministry approves!
- Opportunities to participate in conferences and workshops in the community and abroad
The Intervenor supports communication and day-to-day living for individuals who are living with dual sensory impairment so that they may live independently. Join us to learn new skills and experience personal growth and fulfillment.
- Supporting the consumer in their home and community environments.
- Using communication techniques to relay information.
- Empowering the consumer to participate and be successful in all aspects of daily living including personal hygiene, meal preparation, house cleaning, volunteerism, among others.
- Providing personal care as required (e.g. lifts and transfers, toileting, personal hygiene, medication administration, etc.).
- Assisting with developing and supporting consumer goals and objectives.
- Assisting with program development.
- Ensuring documentation and records are complete.
Education and Related Experience:
- We will train you how to support our clients through our in-house training program
- Completion of a college diploma or certificate in the Intervenor for Deafblind Persons program, or: Developmental Services Worker (DSW), Social Services Worker (SSW), Community Services Worker (CSW), Communicative Disorders Assistant (CDA), Personal Support Worker (PSW), or a related human services field.
- Experience supporting persons with developmental disabilities and challenging behaviours.
- Experience supporting persons with mental health conditions.
- Communication in American Sign Language (ASL) or Signed Exact English (SEE) is an asset.
- Employment is conditional upon receipt of a successful Vulnerable Persons Police Clearance.
- This position requires a valid driver's license Class G, access to a reliable vehicle, a clean current driver's abstract and the ability to obtain automobile insurance with a minimum liability of $2 million.
- This position requires sighted guide intervention.
- This position requires repetitive hand motion and good manual dexterity and moderate stooping, bending and lifting. The incumbent must be able to lift 35 lbs to 50 lbs on an occasional basis. The position will be required to work indoors and outdoors.