Assists residents with the activities of daily living, including the physical, social, emotional, intellectual, spiritual and cultural needs / interest of residents.
1. Directs and assists residents with activities of daily living such as eating, resting, bathing, washing, bowel and bladder care, dressing and caring for teeth, hair, nails and skin.
2. Lifts and transfers residents using mechanical lifts as necessary.
3. Assists residents with meals, nourishments, and feeds designated residents. Ensures residents receive adequate nutrition according to individual service plans.
Notes change in appetite and food preferences and reports these to the nurse on duty.
4. Under the direction of nurse, apply simple non sterile dressings and topical medication including ointments and lotions, administer oral medication, and obtain routine laboratory specimens.
5. Observes and reports changes in a resident’s functional and cognitive behaviour to the nurse on duty.
6. Assists with admissions, discharges and transfers of residents.
7. Escorts residents to exercises, crafts and entertainment, provides assistance as required
8. Maintains proper care and identification of resident’s clothing and personal effects.
9. Requests and collects needed supplies.
10. Reports unsafe or faulty equipment to the designated supervisor.
11. Monitors safety in the residents living environment and staff working environment.
I : Recruitment Bettina Master File Job Descriptions Selkirk Place Union JD - Registered Care Aide -
12. Reports risks, hazards, near misses, unsafe situations, incidents and accidents to Supervisor / Manager / Designate.
13. Performs other related duties as assigned. Qualifications 1. Grade 10 plus graduation from a recognized Health Care Assistant or Residential Care Aide Program.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES :
1. Ability to be sensitive to client needs and provide accurate and detailed information.
2. Be positive and supportive.
3. Compliance with all Acts, Regulations, Policies and Protocols relevant to the position.
4. Identify and report safety concerns.
5. Explain requirements in a constructive and helpful manner.
6. Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
7. Ability to deal with others effectively
8. Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
9. Ability to organize work.
10. Ability to operate related equipment.