Responsible for managing approvals and pre-construction for speculative and built-to-suit industrial projects in Ontario from conception through obtaining rezoning or site plan approval. With the support of the BC & Alberta Development Team, this individual will participate in the due diligence review of land and building acquisitions, create and review development proformas, review of legal contracts, support the condo process, engage and manage consultants and prepare, submit and negotiate applications for development approvals.
- Support the development acquisitions team by reviewing zoning bylaws, restrictive covenants, design guidelines and preliminary design drawings.
- Visit prospective land opportunities to assess existing conditions, prepare a comprehensive condition assessment report, and identify any site-specific extraordinary costs.
- Review land due diligence packages including geotechnical and environmental reports and create site preparation budgets.
- Communicate with brokerage community to answer questions regarding development opportunities
- Meet with potential clients regarding build-to-suit purchases, leases and condo purchases as required.
- Lead the consultant team with submission and rezoning applications, land subdivision and development permits and coordinate with municipal planning and building departments.
- Expedite the resolution of all development permit issues which arise to maintain project schedules and the level of quality of each project.
- Participate in the RFP process by reviewing proposals and reviewing pre-construction building specifications.
- Lead Site Plan Approval process.
- Work with the construction team to create building specifications for speculative developments based on market standard requirements.
- Work with development team to generate building layouts for built-to-suit and speculative developments.
- Participate in design meetings to analyze plans and specifications for coordination, constructability, value engineering, and completeness.
- Work with the various clients from initial contact through turnover to construction.
- Assist the development team on scope and process questions during turnover to construction.
- Work closely with development and construction teams to facilitate successful project turnover.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience as a development manager in land acquisition with proformas for selling and leasing commercial properties.
- Experience in working with municipal departments for rezoning, and site plan approval and building permit applications.
- Strong understanding of legal contracts and title documents.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in Development.
- Knowledge of the Rezone, SPA and BP process in a variety of municipalities and other city approvals.
- Experience with land due diligence review, and managing tasks on multiple, concurrent projects.
- Post-secondary education in a related discipline.
- Excellent communication skills, combined with proven presentation experience within a senior level management group.
- A track record of establishing highly functional relationships with diverse personalities both within and outside the company.
- Proficient in Excel, Word and Outlook as well as preferred knowledge of Timberline and MS Project.
- Good knowledge of the Ontario building code.
Powered by JazzHR