The Municipality of North Cowichan (population 30,000) is located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island, between Nanaimo and Victoria. Our communities of Chemainus, Crofton, Maple Bay, and the South End including University Village, are home to a multitude of artistic, cultural and outdoor recreational activities. The Municipality provides a stable and varied work environment, competitive pay and benefits, and is ideally situated on Southern Vancouver Island.
The Municipality of North Cowichan invites applications from candidates with the proven skills, qualifications and abilities for the position of Clerk/Secretary on a casual, on-call basis. If you are self-motivated, looking to take on a new challenge where you can make a difference, enjoy both responsibility and accountability with one of British Columbia's most inclusive and environmentally conscious municipalities, we look forward to receiving your application!
This is an opportunity for a highly motivated individual to provide administrative, reception and clerical support of considerable complexity and diversity to various departments. Deployment to other duties may be required from time to time.
Required Skills, Qualifications and Abilities:
- Completion of Grade 12.
- Formal secretarial training from a recognized program, together with a minimum of two (2) years of secretarial experience.
- A minimum accurate keyboard speed of 60 wpm is required. Proof of typing speed or assessment results from the last 24 months must be included with your application. If you require information on where to obtain a typing/keyboarding speed test, please contact email@example.com.
- Demonstrable skills in Windows driven network systems including Microsoft Office programs, or comparable programs.
- Demonstrable organizational ability, communications and interpersonal skills, and the ability to deal courteously with telephone and counter enquiries.
- Demonstrable ability to adapt quickly in accepting or initiating, and effectively prioritizing and accurately completing, multiple tasks in a multi-faceted environment.
- Demonstrable ability to operate office equipment.
- Independence of judgment and capability of working under minimal supervision.
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver's License; a satisfactory current driver's abstract will be required.
This is a unionized position (CUPE Local 358) and the collective agreement may be viewed on our website.
Candidates being considered will be required to undergo a comprehensive evaluation of skills, qualifications, and abilities. The successful candidate will be required to undergo a criminal record check.