The Registered Nurse will work as part of the interdisciplinary team within the McMaster Children's Hospital Program with specific responsibility within the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and the Intermediate Care Nursery.
Infants in both units receive medical and surgical neonatal care within a fast-paced, complex, highly technological environment.
Schedule Work HoursDay, Evenings, Nights, Weekends, Holidays
1. Current Certificate of Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario as a Registered Nurse
2. Certificate in Neonatal / Perinatal nursing or equivalent
3. Current NRP and BCLS certification
4. Experience (2 years) in a Level II Intermediate Care Nursery within the last 3 years
5. Knowledge of pre-term and full-term infant pathophysiology and the management and intervention of infants in acute care
6. Knowledge of family dynamics relating to the birth process, critical illness and death and dying
7. Demonstrated ability to provide comprehensive nursing care to acutely ill newborn and family within the neonatal unit, and in community settings
8. Demonstrated ability to teach others and knowledge of adult teaching / learning principles
9. Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills especially in stressful situations
10. Demonstrated teamwork, organization, problem-solving and conflict management skills
11. Demonstrated ability to perform well in critical high stress situations
12. Demonstrated ability to be highly motivated, self-directed and responsive to ever changing environment and patient conditions
Hamilton Health Sciences fosters a culture of patient and staff safety, whereby all employees are guided by our Mission, Vision, Values, and Values Based Code of Conduct.
Hamilton Health Sciences is a teaching hospital and all staff and physicians are expected to support students and other learners.
To be considered for this opportunity applicants must apply during the posting period. All internal and external applicants may ONLY apply via the Careers website.
Hamilton Health Sciences is an equal opportunity employer and we will accommodate any needs under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Hiring processes will be modified to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities, if requested. Should any applicant require accommodation through the application processes, please contact Human Resources Operations at 905-
521-2100, Ext. 46947 for assistance. If the applicant requires a specific accommodation because of a disability during an interview, the applicant will need to advise the hiring manager when scheduling the interview and the appropriate accommodations can be made.
This competition is open to all qualified applicants, however, qualified internal applicants will be considered first. Past performance will be considered as part of the selection process.
If you are a previous employee of Hamilton Health Sciences, please note : the circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment
Proficiency in both Official Languages, French and English, is considered an asset